Friday, April 15, 2011

First taste: Queenstown

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the emails.  First of all...sorry Lin for the delay...we've mostly been running errands all day preparing for tomorrow's backpack...but we've also managed to mix in some fun.

So Auckland seemed okay.  The weather was about like San Diego right now, and for getting a ticket / fine for the jerky...I must say that was the most pleasant experience of getting in trouble I've had so far.  The staff were all very nice and genuine.  But there wasn't much to see coming in, or at the airport.

On the contrary, the flight from Auckland to Queenstown was beautiful...especially when we were within about 30 minutes of landing.  The rigid mountains sprinkled with snow, and the gigantic washes in the valleys of the mountains almost looked like glaciers...they must get SO much rain here.  Then, we see this gigantic turquoise lake, and part of it was being diverted into an aqueduct (I have video...it's absolutely beautiful).  Anyways, we landed, and got off the plane directly outside (wasn't that SO much better!).  The air in Queenstown just smells good...it's so refreshing here, and the backdrops of mountains are gorgeous.


I'll save all the errands we did because they're just not all that exciting.  But we did go to Fergburgers.  This was the original burger joint that inspired the owner of Bareback Grill.  That place was Hoppin'.  Probably the busiest place in all of Queenstown.  I had a New Zealand Deer burger, with some kind of Thai plum sauce and Fries with Aioli...too good.

Once we got the pertinent stuff taken care of...we just started walking.  I bet we walked 4-5 miles, partly up some pretty steep terrain.  I just can't get enough of it.  It's fall here.  All the trees are gorgeous.  And when I say all the trees...there are SO many different trees and plants here...I see something new like every 10 seconds that I've never seen before.  They have these gigantic 50 foot tall trees that are raining golden leaves...and then some of the biggest pines I've ever come across.


On our little hike out in the wilderness, somehow we happened upon this old power station.  It was like the Street Art Meca of Queenstown.  There was like 500 ft. of painted walls (yes Lin, I took pictures to share :)).  It was so strange, but very rewarding from a venture we had no idea where it would lead.






Tomorrow's the big day.  We start the backpack I've been dreaming of for several years.  We have everything packed, and our bus leaves at 8AM NZ.  Jude is up in bed, and I'm having some weird New Zealand beer (Moa - Five Hop Barrel Reserve).  Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so I feel pretty content with all my rain proof purchases prior to leaving.  Sunday's supposed to be the worst...I guess we'll finally see what it's all about. 

Man, goods here are EXPENSIVE.  I looked at getting an extra battery for my camera.  It was $140 NZ...I think that's about $110 US.  Maybe if I new more about U.S. tariffs and trade it would make more sense, but anyways...if you come here...come prepared. 

Honestly, I think all of you would fall in love with this place.  It's an interesting melting pot of really nice, just genuine people.  There is a little adrenaline in the air...all these young bucks are nervous and excited about their "bungy tomorrow". 

Well, good night.  I love all of you.  It'll be 4-5 days before I write again.  Just know I'm having the time of my life, and the stories, pictures and photos I bring back are absolutely priceless.

My internet says '50' seconds.

Tootles.

Ryan