Saturday, April 23, 2011

Kingfisher #2

The cheapest beer I could find in the New Zealand store turned out to be quite good.  It reminds me of Heineken, only half the price and made in India.  The beer is absolutely hitting the spot after our relatively long excursion through the Franz-Joseph.  The Franz-Joseph glacier (glassier), was our last stop of the evening.  With our expectations low from the day's previous events, Franz-Joseph was quite the surprise.  It was still raining when we entered the park, but once I saw the hikers walking the full stretch between the flats and the glacier, it just didn't matter any more.


During the 1 to 1.5 hour hike, we passed countless numbers of waterfalls (most I would say were over 200 ft. high).  At one point, I watched in amusement as a group of 4 guided hikers offered themselves mercilessly to the bottom of one of the falls.  I guess some people welcome the opportunity to get slapped on the head with countless buckets of water...it looked so painful...they were having the hardest time just standing up.  Anything for the the right photo opp. I guess.



Once we reached the foot of the glacier, Jude and I quickly found the guide paths up the rocks, which led us to a much better view of the glassier.  I think to fully appreciate such a wonder of the earth, you'd have to see it up close, in all its lively dangers.  But this trip, I was content with the view from the rocks.


All of the tours had ended, and we were 2 of about 10 people left in the gigantic park.  Our persistence had finally paid off.  I enjoyed perfectly diffuseed light (shooting pictures of the waterfalls).  Jude directed my attention to the sunset that had miraculously found its way through the clouds...lighting up the upper peaks and glassier a brilliant shade of red.  Sometimes hell is worth the heaven in the end.  We enjoyed the sunset to its fullest extent.  Then we helped a German bump start his campervan, and found our way to a holiday park just outside the city.

Tonight's journal wouldn't be complete without describing the transformation taking place inside the campervan.  Albeit a tiny little space, Jude and I are finding simple ways to be courteous to one another.  We are becoming used to our shrunken environment and finding way to make it work.

With total satisfaction, I'd say that 80% of our day kind of sucked, and about 20% was excellent enough to say that today was a good day...here on the wet, western coast of South Island, New Zealand.

Cheers,
Ryan